Monday, January 5, 2009

First knit hat and pound cake

I completed my first knit hat! I conquered DPNs! Take that.




Garter Stitch Hat with Square Raglan Crown by Zachary L. Loomis
Yarn: Patons Wool Merino in Wedgewood
Needles: US 8 16" circs and US 8 DPNs
Would I knit this again? Definitely. I'm planning one already with some leftover LB Jiffy.
Notes: I liked this pattern a lot. It was quick and easy and great for a beginner. I especially love the square top. I need to try a different cast on method, because the rim is a tad tight. It's still wearable though.
ETA: He liked it, though it was a tad too tight to fit over all his curls. And he likes hats with more of a slouch. I think I'll make him another using the same pattern, only use a looser cast on method and make it larger. Then it can slouch it all he wants.


Something inside me today said to make a pound cake, and I never ignore the voices, so I happily obliged. This craptacular picture is a Brown Sugar Pound Cake, the recipe from the back of the brown sugar box. I have yet to try it, but it looks delish. It has 2 sticks of butter in it though, so I'll have to watch it. I should try to find some healthier recipes, maybe vegan ones. I just hope they aren't tasteless.
Plus, this completes one of the things I want to accomplish this break: #5. Always have desserts ready. I made steaks tonight and meatballs are planned for tomorrow night. With spaghetti of course!
ETA: Yummy, but bland. It needed something else, like chocolate frosting or chocolate chips.

No comments: