Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Day 10 → a photo of you taken over ten years ago.

 
This is my best friend and I during the Blizzard of 1996!  Our neighbors made and ice cave we played in. (They also made an ice dragon! but I don't know where the pictures are of that.)  Ah, the cute, innocent days. I remember that jacket, too; it was pretty kick ass. It had tiny apples on it. (And Jeanette, check out those purple wellies I'm rockin.)
Damn, I am a bad craft blogger.   I haven't shown any FOs from this year except for my grandma's blocks.  Let's remedy that, yes?

 
 The first octopus of 2010! Remember that funky turtle I made?  My mom couldn't stop laughing at him, and I couldn't send that...thing to my cousin.  So I made her an octopus.  I shared the turtle on weloveamigurumi on LiveJournal and they said send it, so I did.  Turned out my cousin loved both. 

Baby Octopus by RubyTuesday via Craftster.
Yarn: Blue worsted from Jeanette's stash
Hook: trusty H (5 mm)
No mods or anything, she just got her cute little 1920s-esque hat/cloche thing.

We interrupt thing blog post to alert you to the fact it's bloody snowing again, and there's a lot. No school for the rest of the week, I think yes. Which means I'll probably finish a few more books, have more FOs to share, sleep far too much and avoid homework and cleaning.  Sounds about right.  Ok, back to regularly scheduled craft pr0n.

THE BIG BAD PINK BABY BLANKET OF LOVE!

If you've read the first Mason-Dixon Knitting book by Kay Gardiner and Anne Shayne, you'll be familiar with the denim baby blanket in there.  If not, you should go get it ASAP and read it straight through, or we'll come to your house and cover it in funky novelty yarn and raid your stash.  Anyway, in the book the knitting and crocheting members of the family (aka the Awesome Members) all contributed a 6 inch block or two, then someone stitched them together to present to New Baby Surname.  Cute, right?  Well, my cousin Lois just had a new baby and since we have a ton of knitters and crocheters decided this was a great idea!  We all worked in shades of pink.  I came home from vacation over the summer with a big bag of squares.  My mom and I made some, and I joined them all together in white, with lovely momma weaving in the ends.  It turned out huge and luscious, and they love it!  I can't wait to see pictures of Ruby with it.  It was a great project, and I'd definitely do it again for anyone.  Even though I joined them, it sure as hell beat making all those squares first

 
  
 
 
I used the flat-braid joining technique by Priscilla Hewitt
Yarn: RHSS in lavender, dark pink, light pink, a purple and pink mix and a red and pink mix; LB's Vanna's Choice in Rose Mist; and some weird blocks of unknown content (hopefully acrylic)
I used an I (9 mm) hook for the joining, and I think we used US 8s for our blocks. Some of the blocks are so wonky looking because my cousins just learned how to knit for the sake of this.  Aw.  

First hat finished for The Month of 8 Hats!

 
Remember that hat I made my Daddy for Christmas and sadly it was too small? Well, I made him a replacement. It's nice and warm even though it's acrylic, and it covers his ears and forehead.  Luckily for us, it doesn't have a lot of extra material at the top; the current beanie he has has like 3 inches of beanie at the top and he looks like a gangster. 

London Beanie by Mark Thrailkill
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Country Blue; scraps from my grandma: brown, green and a yellow and red tweed
Needles: US 8 16" circs and DPNs
Date started: 4 February
Date finished: 8 February (BAM, I love hats.)

2 comments:

Esshaych said...

That's a great idea about the blanket! I wish more of my family knitted or crocheted :(

Love the snow picture - we've never had that much snow. Ever.

rosehippo said...

Ha, I don't think we have either until these two blizzards. I went out and braved the snow to shoot; the Neighborhood Men looked at me like I was nuts. Crazy blizzard winds, little dogs with slippers on, snow up to my knees. Ah, I love it.