Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 1: What was your first finished project?

My first knit, like most knitters was a scarf. I can't remember which one was "first," but I remember the first few I did.  The first was a garter stitch scarf for my Daddy in a beige mystery yarn I probably got from my grandma who taught me to knit. I got bored with it and there were plenty of holes in it, but I cast it off and gave it to him and he still wears it, even though it's quite short. (He has another short garter stitch scarf, which reminds me I should make him a proper one.)

The second, or other first scarf I made was from Lion Brand Fancy Fur, which is now discontinued. It's this stuff:

image via aneemull

It was just this yarn with no plain acrylic like a lot of knitters use with novelty yarn, in this exact colorway on US 13s in all garter stitch. It was a fast knit which is probably why I didn't get bored with it as quickly. I wore it a ton, even though it looked like a fuzzy caterpillar around my neck. It turned out to be one of the warmest scarves I own, and I still wear it today.

I made more scarves like this, but that story is going to wait for Day 22.

No comments: