Monday, December 8, 2008

My List

Start Date: Monday, December 8, 2008.
End Date: Monday, September 5, 2011.

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

What is this blog going to be used for?
This blog is my way of keeping track of everything I complete. Pictures should accompany most. I know that some aren't possible, but I'm going to try my best to complete as many as I can in the required time.

MY 101 IN 1001:
CHARITY
1. Donate $50 or more to the World Wildlife Fund.
2. Donate purses and clothes I don’t use anymore.
3. Make cat toys for the shelter.
4. Make a scarf for KnitYourBit.
5. Make cookies for someone just because.
6. Donate blood 3 times. (0/3)
7. Volunteer at the animal shelter.
8. Leave a 50% tip.

EXERCISE AND HEALTH
9. Learn how to scuba dive.
10. Read my Pilates book and do the exercises in them.
11. Walk at least twice a week.
12. Join a yoga class.

MONEY
13. Have over $15,000 in my ING account by the time this list is complete.
14. Start an Ireland fund.
15. Get a job and keep it.
16. Start an Etsy and try to sell something.
17. Add $2 to the Reward Envelope for every completed task and deposit into ING when completed. (0/202)
18. Expand my business.

ARTS
19. Let 5 different people read a different poem I’ve written (0/5)
20. Mail a secret to Postsecret.
21. Finish my fairy tale.
22. Read the Lord of the Rings series again. (0/3)
23. Learn how to play my guitar.
24. Learn how to make a paper crane.
25. Read the books I own but have never read or don't remember reading before buying any more. (0/56)
26. Make a dish using ingredients I wouldn’t normally buy.
27. Plant herbs and use them, including cat nip.
28. Complete the 26 things photo project (one for each letter of the alphabet) on a disposable camera. (0/26)
29. Read the first 10 books from the BBC Best Books list. (0/10)
30. Re-read the Harry Potter series (0/7)
31. Buy all the Harry Potter movies and see the ones that are released while this list is in progress. (0/5; 0/2)
32. Watch the first 25 of AFI’s Top 100 Movies of all time. (0/25)
33. Read all the Scientific Americans and National Geographics I have under my bed. (0/12)
34. Start a DeviantArt for my poetry.

CRAFTS
35. Knit a sweater.
36. Knit a pair of socks.
37. Dye some yarn and knit or crochet something with it.
38. Deplete my yarn and fabric stash.
39. Sew two quilts. (0/2)
40. Learn how to use my serger.
41. Learn how to knit with DPNs.
42. Join a knitting/crochet group.
43. Recon something from a thrift store.
44. Splurge on expensive yarn.
45. Learn how to spin.
46. Finish my dress.
47. Learn to needle felt.
48. Teach mom how to purl.
49. Re-teach mom how to crochet.
50. Teach a knitting or crochet class.
51. Knit a Gryffindor Scarf.
52. Learn entrelac.
53. Complete all projects I have yarn for in Big White. (0/39)
54. Knit/crochet 50 dishcloths. (0/50)
55. Buy a set of Addi Turbos or a set of interchangeable needles.

BOYFRIEND
56. Take him to Disney World.
57. Go to Peru.
58. Write him a love letter.

TRAVEL
59. Drive to Chicago.
60. Visit my uncle in Texas.
61. Visit a hippo at a zoo other than the National Zoo.
62. Spend more time exploring DC.
63. Ride the Metro to a stop I’ve never been to before and explore.
64. Go to NYC again.
65. Visit Canada.
66. Visit California again.

ME
67. Write a letter to myself on where I think I’ll be in 10 years. Seal it and don’t open it for 10 years.
68. Get a 3.0 GPA.
69. Improve my Spanish.
70. Make a list of 100 things that make me happy. (0/100)
71. No cell phone, internet, TV, computer for one whole weekend.
72. Memorize Pablo Neruda’s Sonnet XLV in both English and Spanish.
73. Learn German.
74. Visit the countries/places where my ancestors are from. (Ireland, England, Germany again, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, The Dakotas)
75. Find out what African country my ancestors are from.
76. Learn how to blow dry my hair straight.
77. Don’t cut my hair until 1001 days are up. (Trims don’t count)
78. Graduate.
79. Get my portrait taken at Glamour Shots.
80. Learn how to ballroom dance.
81. Write a letter to my future child.
82. Learn how to use liquid eyeliner.
83. Get a massage.
84. Try acupuncture.
85. Finish a book of Su Do Ku
86. Finish my All About Me journal.
87. Wear a skirt or dress every day for a week.
88. Buy a pair of sexy matching undies.

ETC
89. Learn to drive manual.
90. Try 10 new restaurants. (0/10)
91. Make a pie with my mom.
92. Sleep under the stars.
93. Organize all my photographs, and print/back up the ones on this computer.
94. Take my car to its inspection/oil changes instead of my mom.
95. Send a message in a bottle.
96. Plan a “mom and me" trip.
97. Plan a “daddy and me" trip.
98. Brush the cats once a week.
99. Have a picnic.
100. Complete Keri Smith’s 100 ideas (0/100)
101. Save for a pug.

No comments: