Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Winter break was a lot of fun. I'll go through the whole list of things I wanted to accomplish, but I didn't get nearly as much done as I thought because I was out visiting tons of people. I'm so glad my panic attacks are gone; I've seen and met and caught up with so many kids. It sucks they all go back to school and I'm stuck here.

Speaking of school, classes began yesterday. Started with Arms & Armor. Besides the fact the classroom was like an oven, this is going to be a kick ass class. I'm such a closeted nerd. Next High Renaissance with my awesome professor from last semester. The Renaissance wasn't even that interesting until I took her class. She has a real passion for it, and I love it. It's catching. I want to be her when I grow up. (Wait, I'm already grown up...) Then I had astronomy, a 100 level course.l. I'm sure there's more than 300 kids in there. And the professor has a thick German accent. I've had him before for an astronomy lab (he says "camp-puss" instead of "campus") but in the huge ass room it's harder to hear. Meh. I was signed up for a Monuments and Memory in Asian art 3 hour seminar, but the thought of going to that gave me a headache. 10.30 AM - 7.10 PM? Not so much. I'm not a graduating senior (even though I should be) so I don't need it right now. I dropped it, can't take just 13 credits if I plan on graduating in 2011 and signed up for an anthropology class, Ancient Mesoamerica. I'm excited, though it means classes Tuesday and Thursday 10.30 - 4.15 with only a few 15 minute breaks. (aka time to pee and walk to class) Well at least today I only have English, and no classes Fridays.

Remember last post my whole explanation about the Pound of Love and my Grandma's afghan? Well I finished my Christmas gifts (which will be secret 'till they're received. I finished one during the 3 hours of The Abyss. Serious waste of time. I will never get those three hours back.) and I've named February as the Month of 8 Hats so what to do in the last two weeks of January? Start on blocks of course. I love how I can crochet a 6 inch block in one night/about two hours, and a 12 inch one in two nights.


First is Easy as ABC from SmoothFox. I'm not too sure why I chose this, but it doesn't look like the picture at all and I'm not too pleased with it. I'll decide later if I want to keep it in the final afghan, but for now it stays.

(Just so I don't have to write it out each time, all are crocheted with an I-9 hook in Caron Simply Soft in Soft Green and White, Lion Brand's Pound of Love in Lavender and Red Heart Soft Baby Ltd in Rocking Horse.)

I joined the 2010 200 Crochet Blocks CAL on Craftster, where each month a block is chosen from Jan Eaton's 200 Crochet Blocks. January's is 189: Willow:

I'm really proud of this one, I like it a lot. Oddly it came out to 6 inches before I added the final round. Go me!

In the 2010 BAM CAL, Cute as a Button was too difficult so I substituted with Supernova by Chris Simon:


I really like this one, too. I had to add a few rounds only because the baby yarn is sport/DK weight not worsted.

And I've always wanted to do 129: Anemone from Jan Eaton, and I finally did it:


There's going to be a big West Side Story esque rumble for this afghan, I can see it now. I'm only four blocks in and I don't want to give it up!

ETA: OMG is this not the cutest thing you've ever seen EVER?!


It's a lion tawashi from Lion Brand Yarn. So cute, look at that little afro! I need one! I can't let that cute little thing scrub the dishes though, he's far too adorable. It reminds me of Kenya. (Haha)

No comments: