Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Baby beluga in the deep blue sea...

Baby Beluga in the deep blue sea,
Swim so wild and you swim so free.
Heaven above, and the sea below,
And a little white whale on the go.

Two more FOs I forgot about! The first one is an embroidered beluga for Boyfriend. For some reason he thinks they have the stupidest expression on their faces. I think they're freakin adorable. So when I saw this pattern for a beluga on Craftster, I know I had to make him one.



The beluga himself is backstitch, the letters (Comic Sans! for comedic effect) are done in satin stitch (I think that's right; that filler stitch.) and the water from the blowhole, eye and smile are all just straight stitches because French knots are far beyond me.

I also finished an earflap hat for myself:



Happy Trails by Rebecca Ronson (in Lion Brand: Just Hats)
Yarn: Lion Brand's Landscapes in Autumn Trails
Needle: US 10s
Size: Small
Modifications: Nada. Except I did the ribbing backwards, so you can see it more clearly on the inside of the hat rather than the outside, but no matter.
Would I knit this again? Heck yes. I'm planning one for Boyfriend (shh :X) but the colors of LB's Landscapes are pretty feminine, so I might turn to another chunky yarn, hopefully that's in my stash.
Notes: I didn't know that to knit an earflap hat, you started with the earflaps separately, then knit them together with stitches inbetween. This was knit on straight needles so it was unweildy to take along with me and it looked pretty funny carrying around. My mom thought I was knitting some weird animal. Next time I'll do it in the round so it's more compact and so I don't have an unsightly seam up the back.

No comments: