Thursday, December 17, 2009

Dun dun, finals are finished! Yay for more crafts! Woa, this is my first FO since 18 October. Shame!



Matching hat and scarf set for my Grandma, the one who taught me how to knit and crochet.
Keyhole Bow Tie Scarf, by Julie Hines in the fall 2009 issue of Knit Simple, and Garter Stitch Hat with Square Raglan Crown, by Zachary Loomis
Yarn: Lion Brand's Vanna's Choice in Pink Mist; Red Heart Super Saver in Lavender
Needles: US 8

It's on its way, so hopefully she'll get it by the weekend. Good for keeping warm when she walks my uncle's dog, Izzy:



Goodies for the Box of Holiday Yummies swap on Craftster: DON'T LOOK CRAFTY GURLL!

I made her a skully potholder, because she loves sugar skulls.

 

Skullholder by Kacy Fallon, from Stitch 'N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Yarn: Mystery fibers! Green, white and a green and red mix, from the thrift store and Grandma's stash.
Hook: H - 8 (5 mm)
Notes: Easy peasy! I watched Men in Black II and finished it during those two hours. I only did one side, though, the pattern calls for a front and back to be sewn together, but I was running low on time with finals.

Going with that theme I made Mexican Wedding Cookies,



which my mom said were pretty good, but I have no idea because they contain almonds, and I hate nuts. I also made some fudge, yummy yum! Hope she likes her package, and I can't wait to get mine and see what goodies they contain!

~

I've learned quite a few things after these hellish two weeks known as Finals Season:

  • My Italian Renaissance professor chooses the craziest slide comparisons ever. What do Boticelli's Primavera and Bellini's Madonna of the Meadow have in common? I have no idea. At least I'll be prepared for next semester, and High Renaissance.
  • If on your study guide you get four essay questions, and your professor is going to choose only two, she'll choose the two you know absolutely nothing about. Good thing high school taught me how to BS.
  • Cramming works... to an extent. 
  • I know nothing about Spanish verb tenses. Present perfect indicative? Pluperfect subjunctive? WTF.
  • Which means that minoring in Spanish probably isn't a good idea.
  • Gerome and Guimard does not equal Gerard. Gerome did Prayer in the Mosque and Guimard the Paris metro stations in their art nouveau glory.
  • Which also means Pauguin isn't a person. There's Paul Gauguin. The guy that did the Opera was Garnier.
  • Middle aged white males driving Durangoes have 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one. (Ok, I didn't really learn this, but odd observation at the gas station. Dude was blasting Jay-Z, and is like 45 and white. Huh?)
  • African American artists can be just as racist. "Oh, you're an African American artists trying to break down stereotypes? Then maybe you shouldn't draw Africans like minstrel figures, and get your history about Africa from a source that isn't rooted in popular culture, or racially skewed."
  • Freud is like God, omnipotent. Maybe Freud IS God.
  • It may be finals week, but parking is still a bitch.
  • Making 80+ flashcards and not using them, then losing them, then finding them in your purse 15 minutes before the final doesn't help.
  • I make freakin awesome mnemonic devices. For my 19th century European art final we had a timeline. For 1830, my thing was "Queen Victoria went to Africa in July to take pictures" to remember the coronation of Queen Victoria, the French began to colonize Africa, the daguerreotype was invented and it was the decade of the July Revolution. For 1840? "real, European PRs with commies and metal paint" for the publishing of the Communist manifesto, invention of the metal paint tube, Pre-Raphaelites (not Puerto Ricans), realism, and revolutions across Europe.
I can safely say I won't be missing school too much in the next month and a half. Yay freedom!

1 comment:

Esshaych said...

Wow you've been busy! Hope the finals went well for you - enjoy your break! :D